The Old Horse Inn was originally built in the early 1800’s as a coaching inn and stables, some of which can still be seen at the rear of the pub and is now the home of resident barn owls. It was built on land owned by Thomas Miller and it would have served the race goers on the race course opposite (now Victoria Park) and travellers on the London Road who would stop at the tollgate on the corner of Victoria Park Road.
In 1878 the civic authorities aimed to close the pub down but the magazine ‘The Midland Jackdaw’ produced an article vigorously criticising their move and ‘The Old Horse’ gained a reprieve. It was bought be Everards Brewery Limited in 1894 for the sum of £6450.
Interestingly enough the Old Horse derived its name from the heavy working horses that would pull the laden carts and coaches up the steep hill from the town centre to the coach house. Once there they would change the ‘old horse’ for a new one which would carry on for the rest of their journey and so the name stuck and to this day the pub is known as the Old Horse.
So you can see that the dear old place has seen quite a lot in her time with all the comings and goings and even some goings that never want to leave – but that’s another story....